My Media Studies Blog. Enjoy :)

Friday 21 January 2011

Audience Feedback: First Edit

In class today we did some peer assessment on each others opening sequences, which I found really helpful.

These were the overall comments:

Positive feedback:

  • "good position of titles"
  • "love the story line"
  • "titles are very creative"
Constructive criticism:
  • "start music doesn't really suit the horror genre"
  • "quite dark lighting in some places"
  • "music stops very suddenly"/ "could fade out the music"
  • "story line difficult to see- social realism at start?"
  • "make the opening sequence clearer that it is horror"

Target audience feedback
As I asked very open questions in my questionnaire, I could not analyse the answers in as much details as I had in my previous audience research.  Despite this, I was still able to get some valuable comments and points of advice. 
The comments I received from my target audience were very similar to those I received in the peer assessment, but they were a bit more detailed. 
Positive feedback:
  • "professional looking titles"
  • "the titles are well spaced out and it makes the film easier to watch"
  • "the suspense music is effective at creating and unnerving atmosphere"
  • "I really like the title; it conjures up images of the unknown.  Very fitting for a horror movie"
  • "the main character is clearly established; she is the main focus which let's the us know who is she is"
Constructive criticism:
  • "the genre of horror is not made clear in the beginning, especially with the choice of music"
  • "the music in the beginning doesn't fit in with the genre, it sounds too sad"
  • "the music stops suddenly which makes it seem cheaply made"
  • "the titles could be longer as you only just get to see the names after the effects have finished"
  • "in the shot of the dress coming out of the wardrobe the lighting is a bit dark and you can't see her face"

From these points of criticism, it is clear that my choice of music is not effective and needs to change, as well making it clearer that the genre of the opening sequence is horror.  

None of these points have come as a shock to me, as I was expecting several comments about my choice of music.  I agree that it can confuse the genre of the film, as it would be more fitting to have a slightly more rock like song in a horror film.  We now have a week to edit our opening sequences further, and create the final copy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment